Thursday, May 23, 2013

The Great Gatsby - The Film

Last Thursday I went to go and see The Great Gatsby the film. I was eager to go and see it and went in with an open mind, as I knew nothing could compare to the book.

I sat down and watched the people gather into the screen, one man walked in with a suit on and a fancy hat on his own, probably a crazy gatsby fan like me but I thought it rather cool and elegant that he came in dressed like that!

Anyway, the film I found absolutely beautiful. Like the book, the beginning is full of colour, vibrance and beauty and towards the end merges into greyness to portray heartbreak.

The film was shot beautifully and the parties were extravagant, Baz Luhrmann did brilliantly and was the perfect person to recreate this beautiful novel.

I found Leonardo DiCaprio was the perfect man to play Gatsby as his manors were exactly that of Gatsby's in the book, a mysterious man with a large element of coolness. Towards the end, I felt he did an excellent job of portraying a man completely in love and completely doomed.

Daisy, played by Carey Mulligan, also did well as she portrayed an effortlessly glamorous woman confused by love and secureness.

The film was beautiful and showed every single subject that Fitzgerald brang up within his novel. The story is probably one of the most heartbreaking I have ever seen. Daisy loved Gatsby but Gatsby was about to loose reputation and have his life of security destroyed and Daisy did not want to go down with him.

A magical story about love, loss, power and security as well as predicting the Wall Street Crash.

A must see, well done Baz Luhrmann!

No comments:

Post a Comment